I was recently invited to enjoy a night of fine food, wine and accommodation in Stellenbosch to mark the launch of the winter Come Sit, Stay and Savour Stellenbosch campaign. In short; a group of restaurants and hotels are offering some incredible winter deals that are sure to inspire a couple nights of luxury in the Cape. There are three packages to choose from:
1. Bargain Package from R1200 pp sharing for 2 nights
- 2 Nights accommodation at either Middelvlei or the Oak Leaf Lodge at Delvera
- A 2 Course lunch including a glass of wine at a local restaurant (Dornier, Delvera, Delheim or Eight at Spier)
- A 2 Course Dinner at a local restaurant including a glass of wine (Devon Valley Hotel or Spier Hotel)
- Any 2 activities from the list below: Middelvlei Barrel Tasting & Cellar Tour, Delheim Wine and Cupcake Pairing, Eagle Encounter at Spier, Fleur du Cap at Bergkelder: Tasting at Cellar Tour Plus a Box of Salted Fudge, Premier Wine Tasting at Dornier or the Warwick Wine Tasting and Cellar Tour
2. Lifestyle Package from R2200 pp sharing for 2 nights
- 2 Nights accommodation at either 22 Die Laan, Allegria or Devon Valley Hotel
- A 2 Course lunch including a glass of wine at a local restaurant (Middelvlei, Tokara Deli or Devon Valley Hotel)
- A 2 Course Dinner at a local restaurant including a glass of wine (Terroir Restaurant or Spier Hotel)
- Any 2 activities from the list: Middelvlei Barrel Tasting & Cellar Tour, J.C. Le Roux pairing with Marshmallows & Meringues, Fleur du Cap at Bergkelder: Wine and Salt Pairing, Van Ryn’s Brandy, Coffee and Chocolate Tasting or Lanzerac Chocolate and Wine Pairing
3. Luxury Package from R2777 pp sharing for 2 nights
- 2 Nights luxury accommodation at either Lanzerac, Kleine Zalze Lodge, Majeka House or Wedgeview Country House & Spa
- A 2 Course Lunch including a glass of wine at a local restaurant (Warwick, Terroir Restaurant or Lanzerac Hotel)
- A 3 Course Dinner including a glass of wine at a local restaurant (Tokara Restaurant, Terroir Restaurant, Lanzerac Hotel or Makaron at Majeka House)
- Any one of the following activities: Spier Segway Tour, Vine Hopper 1 Day Tour, Middelvlei Wine Blending, Bites & Sites Foodie Tour or the Lanzerac Mini Spa Package
- Any one of the following activities: Adventure Centre 2 hour Bike Rental, Peter Falke Wine Tasting and Snack Platter or the Van Ryn’s Florentine and Brandy Tasting
I was treated to the Lifestyle Package and stayed at the Devon Valley Hotel (I particularly enjoyed the Amarula hot-chocolate touch when I got back to the room after dinner, they also have a phenomenal whisky collection if you’re partial to a couple at the fireside and that sort of thing), had dinner at Spier and experienced the art of MCC (Méthode Cap Classique; aka Champagne) making and pairing at the House of J.C. Le Roux. You probably aren’t aware but J.C. Le Roux offers 5 super premium MCCs that’ll blow your mind – Scintilla is my personal favourite.
The ‘Come Sit’ bit was inspired by the outdoor sculpture exhibition that’s on in Stellenbosch at the moment. Local artists were commissioned to design a bench that would encourage locals and tourists alike to visit the picturesque town, linger and stay a while. As you meander through the streets of the dorpie you’ll encounter 24 benches; there’s even one that’s been turned into a swing that lights up as you gain momentum.
Stellenbosch really is a magical town with so much to discover. I work there and I’ve not scratched the surface. If you’re just passing through, be sure to make a turn at Schoon de Companje and M Patisserie. However I’d encourage you to come sit, stay and savour Stellenbosch.