Inspired by Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, these wheat, gluten and dairy free chocolate treats are out of control. Today they’re affectionately know as Loadshedding Tartlets because you can make them sans electricity, which is exactly what I did today – the perfect task for these dark times. So, I followed Jessica Sepel’s recipe somewhat, but improvised a little. This method is designed for a chocolate tart but makes for a great chocolate macadamia nut cup recipe. Here’s what you need:
- 1 1/2 cups of almonds
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 5-6 fresh dates, pitted
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup of carob powder (or cacao powder)
- 1/4 cup of molasses (you can use raw honey, agave or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup of coconut butter or oil
- Macadamia nut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Chop the almonds and dates into small pieces and combine all 6 ingredients of the nut crust (a food processor would’ve been easier, but I chopped and mixed by hand). Scoop out the crust with a spoon and place mixture evenly inside your cup moulds. Press down and place in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate filling.
2. You will need to melt the coconut butter/oil if it’s not already melted. Once the coconut butter/oil is melted, incorporate the carob powder, molasses and cinnamon. Keep the macadamia nut butter aside.
3. Take the tart crust out of the freezer and pour a little bit of macadamia nut butter into each cup. Then top by pouring the filling into each cup. Once the cups are filled with the chocolate, store in the freezer or fridge for up to an hour (keep them in fridge until you serve).
I was left with a lot of nut crust mixture, so I flattened the mixture onto a non-stick pan and made a second batch of filling for some squares. I left the macadamia nut butter out of this lot but they still turned out great. The perfect tea-time treat, or that little something sweet to end dinner off with.
Here’s the recipe in pictures…
Here are the squares I made using the left-over nut crust:
I’m really chuffed at how these turned out. They’re packed with goodness and are absolutely delicious. If you give these a whirl, let me know how how they turn out!